26 July 2010

Tale of Two Teles

I had an opportunity to play a couple of Telecasters this past weekend in between shopping for shoes and lunch.

The first one I played was a Fender Deluxe Nashville Tele. A Tex-Mex™ Strat® pickup between two Tex-Mex Tele pickups and a five-way switch gave a lot of tonal possibilities. Oddly enough, the pickups weren't quite as hot as I expected but had a nice twangy sound with a good amount of sensitivity to pick attack and harmonics induced by light finger touches to the strings after picking.

The second Tele I tried was a Peavey Generation Triple/Single Ex Tele. Also sporting 3 single coil pickups and a five-way switch, this guitar played and sounded pretty good in its own right; especially for a sub $200.00 guitar. The bridge pickup didn't seem as hot as I would expect a bridge pickup to normally be but the neck pickup had a nice Tele twang.

Even though the Fender was used, it still had a price tag of about double the Peavey. I'm not sure it sounded twice as good or had hardware worth twice as much.

Here's a short vid on the Peavey Generation models:



No comments:

Post a Comment